Week 15: WHY WE LABOR

Ever work at something so hard, you find yourself exhausted, running on empty, and asking yourself, “Why am I doing this?” I know we have.  To do lists.  Responsibilities.  Appointments. Who can live these days without a calendar on their phones and a laundry list of items to accomplish each day?  

Solomon says in Ecclesiastes 2:11, “Then I thought about all that I had done and how hard I had worked doing it, and I realized that it didn't mean a thing. It was like chasing the wind--of no use at all.” 

Jesus tells Martha, when she is concerned over preparations for a meal with many guests in her home, complaining that Mary chose to sit at his feet and listen to his words, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:41-42).

The Lord is teaching me – albeit slowly – that the pace of this life can strangle out vision.  That the main thing in life is to spend time with Him.  I don’t mean in a way that shirks responsibility.  No, surely hard work is mentioned in Proverbs again and again with virtue.  I mean the WHY has to be answered first!  Why do Nicole and I work?  Because we LOVE.  Relationships are the focus of Camp Refuge.  But honestly, in all the minutia of daily life, unless we purpose to keep coming back to Him, we find our gaze gets too easily moved to all that we’re doing forHim and not what we’re doing fromHim. 

Special focus:  Pray with us that in the entire journey of Taking the Promised Land, we stay rooted in why we do what we do – THE LOVE OF JESUS.  May we abide in Him each moment and walk in peace doing from Him all He’s called us to do!


Comments

Popular Posts