Week 42: WHISPER


___

“After the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.  And after the fire, there was a gentle whisper.” 1 Kings 19:12

___

  
So imagine you were just a part of the greatest showdown in your life.  And you won!  But that victory suddenly has you fleeing for your life.  Scared and alone, you’re in a cave in the side of the mountain of God.  That’s where Elijah finds himself.  Possibly a pretty lonely place.  But, in fact, He was not alone.

“If you would but quiet yourself, you would know I am speaking.  All the time.  Even in the silence.”

It wasn’t in the booming voice of natural disasters that the Lord chose to speak.  No.  He chose a whisper.  Words uttered with barely a breath behind it.  Why?  I think it has to do with intimacy.  If someone is speaking next to you in a whisper, what do you instinctively do?  Yup.  You LEAN-IN.  I am convinced that in His great love for us, Father whispers to us all the time.

I see this happen often in my day.  I try to keep myself in a state of willingness to obey any directive or nudge.  Sometimes I question, is that really God?  Sure enough, if I wrestle with it a while and choose not to do it, sometime later it becomes apparent – “Oh yeah, if I’d have done that, this wouldn’t be an issue right now!”  And it’s not always logical.  But it should always line up with scripture. 

Are you interested in hearing His voice?  It’s probably not as hard as you think.  He longs to be found by you and promises you will find Him if you seek him wholeheartedly (Jeremiah 29:13-14).

SPECIAL FOCUS: Camp Refuge’s first weekend retreat is next week.  Please pray with us for the guests and the care team, that the Lord would reconcile, strengthen, and establish relationships in Jesus’ name!

There are a few spots still available.  Spread the word!  You can check out all the details for registration here.

Comments

Popular Posts