Week 48: UNEXPECTED NEWS


We’ve all had it happen to us.  We’re just moving along life as normal, and then some unexpected news comes along and punches us in the gut.  It could be a terminal illness, loss of a job, end of a relationship, closed door to an opportunity.  Mine happened while I was at the computer earlier this evening.  I had just finished doing homework with the kids, they were finishing up making supper while I was doing some email.  And BAM!  Facebook emailed saying we weren’t a recipient of any matched funds from the Giving Tuesday match.  I can’t recount all the thoughts that raced through my head, but the overall feeling was a punch to the gut.  Though nothing was promised, we had expected several thousands of dollars to be matched from our contributors in the first ten minutes of the match this Tuesday.  But in that moment, I heard Holy Spirit speak.  I don’t remember the words, but the feeling was one of an anchor – ‘My hope and stay.’  It’s like I was between two completely different emotions – I was both shocked, saddened, and disappointed, and yet, confident that my God was bigger. 

Have you had these moments?  I wouldn’t want to face news like that without the reassurance of my loving Creator that everything would be alright.  I think my bride summed it up best in her Facebook post tonight regarding the unexpected news:

To quote 2 Corinthians 4:8 We are “perplexed, but not in despair.” Our hope rests completely with our Heavenly Father and we are confident that His hand is upon us. To each of you who gave...we were blown away by your generosity! To us, it’s as if we did receive a double blessing ... We didn’t just receive a monetary donation from you...we also gained a comrade in arms. We feel your love. We feel your support. Together, with the Lord going before us, we will move mountains. Love to you all, Kevin and Nicole



Comments

Popular Posts