Week 37: NEVER ALONE


I don’t know about you, but I forget things. I’m not just talking about the odds and ends (my wife and kids laugh at how many alarms I set throughout the day), but the life lessons. I got reminded of a vital one last weekend:

Our family was at my parent’s house on the lake, and my brother and I were teaching my oldest daughters how to water ski. That first time you jump into muddy brown water to float while you put on skis can be a bit intimidating. So while we were in the water together, my oldest, through a dimpled grin, asked if there were any alligators to be worried about. 
“I don’t think so,” I offered. 
“What about the one you and Caleb went over in the kayak?” she inquired. 
“Well, we weren’t sure it was one. We never actually saw it.”
We left the conversation there. She was excited to try to get up on skis. As it was her first time, I decided to stay in the water in lieu of getting back in the boat with everyone else, thinking it easiest to help coach her through a few failed attempts. There was no need for such coaching. She sprang up, and was off!

I watched them until they made a bend in the river, and then I was all alone. Kinda odd just floating there in the lake without anything to do.  A few minutes went by, and I started to wonder how long I’d be floating alone.  My thoughts began to roam, “What if something happened to me?  There’s no one out here to notice…” I looked back at the shoreline and felt these whispers surfacing from the back of my mind. The question, “Are there alligators in this lake?” swept by, and just like that, fear of the unknown grabbed me. It was an almost-physical grasp – crazy the power of the mind! I couldn’t argue with the unknown. So, I reached for the only sure ground I had; I spoke to Jesus. It wasn’t instantaneous, but slowly as I prayed, peace settled. I was floating again and looking up at the clouds. I heard Him clearly tell me,

“I’m with you wherever you go.”

I took note of it. Rested in that promise. It seemed funny, almost juvenile, telling the story at dinner that night about being scared, but the promise stuck with me.  It wasn’t until I journaled it a few days later that it hit me:  I’ve learned this before!

Joshua 1:9:  “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” 

Yup!  The word I heard floating in the lake, looking up at the clouds, was scripture echoed back to me that I had chewed on months ago. 

Special Focus: Declare with us, “God, you are faithful!!  Your promises are true.  You will never leave us.  You are with us wherever we go!”  And pray with us for strength and courage to take the Promised Land for Camp Refuge.



Comments

Popular Posts