Week 24: RITE OF PASSAGE


Rites of passage. Many cultures around the world have initiations, particularly boys entering the world of manhood. We hear stories like the tribe where the men stand on the edge of the village at night and call the boy out of his home, into the jungle where they will teach him the ways of survival. His mother is on the doorstep, wailing ceremonially at the separation that is coming. The boy must choose. Will he leave the world of nurturing he’s known up to this point and embrace the wild adventure of the unknown?

My son and I just returned from the most amazing week. The one story I’ll share reflects a similar shift in Caleb. It was our last day at JH Ranch, and the retreat staff told us parents that we were to take our kids on an extended ‘solo’ time to connect and finalize some commitments from the week. Caleb was less than thrilled with the idea, as he didn't know the details, only that we'd be away from his friends for several hours.  

I decide to take him off property to this lake, and after almost getting lost in the woods on the way there, we arrive. Imagine sitting on a rock ledge overlooking a clear, deep blue mountain lake. Beautiful. As we begin our quiet times, my son shares how he’s really glad we came. Then the most amazing thing happens. I give him 4 affirmation letters from influential people in his life and he goes up the mountain a ways to read them. He comes back different. Encouraged. Challenged to be the young man God calls him to be. And then he’s on fire. He wants to ascend the mountain behind us. We have no guide. No idea how high it is to the summit. No ropes or harnesses. Just a desire to make it to the top. 600 feet of rock climbing later, my son and I look down on the lake and valley below, the panorama of mountain ranges all around, and I bless him. The fatherly blessing to the first-born son. I bless the seed that was planted in him over the week, and pray that it produces eternal fruit.  Just us, on top of this mountain, called up by God, I believe, to share a moment that neither of us will forget.  It was very good.



Comments

Popular Posts