Week 17: MIND OF DEPENDENCE

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”  Romans 12:2

The Lord has been working on me (Kevin) since the beginning of the month on transforming my mind.  In my ‘hustle for worthiness’ as Brene Brown calls it, I’ve somehow forsaken the truth of the good news – that Jesus paid it all – for the lie that I have to earn the right to be close to my Daddy.  

In his book Becoming Who You Are: Embracing the Power of Your Identity in Christ, Dutch Sheets concludes by saying, “We’re not responsible for our own redemption; Jesus already took care of that on the cross…Our main task now is simply to abide in His logos.  We don’t strive to be, but to become who we already are – from the inside out.” Jesus is the Logos – the word, logic, understanding.  

As I took communion a few Sunday mornings ago, the truth of that red fruit of the vine being the blood He shed for me reminded me there is no such thing as self-redemption.  As my physical body pressed against the floor at the altar that morning, I saw myself as a child trusting their Daddy in dependency, literally leaning into him.

This weekend, in the closing celebration of the retreat, we sang about our Daddy’s love.  And in the midst of these husbands and wives, parents and teens, & volunteers, I looked up with my eyes closed, and saw heaven.  It was one of those ‘monumental moments’ where what’s been in my head made it to my heart:  MY DADDY LOVES ME!
And nothing can take that away.

Special focus:  Please pray that we continue to trust him as a son and daughter – that we would continue to pray for His will to be done, and His kingdom come, on earth as it is in heaven.  


Comments

Popular Posts